Audi Club of South Africa

HomeSearchLoginRegisterHelp  

TSI vs TFSI (Read 697 times)
Dec 21st, 2011 at 11:11am

Junaid K   Offline
Moderate Forum User
Boost Fan
Durban

I'm need some clarification. To my knowledge the G5 & similar generation Audi A3's/4's, etc, all came with 2.0TFSI motors, the turbo variant obviously. Whether it's a BWA, AXX or whatever code, dependant on body type.

The TSI engine is a twin charger motor that comes in 1.4 only.

The G6 & Scirocco, whilst they are called TSI motors, are not twin charger, but actually revised/upgraded TFSI derivatives.

Correct me where I'm wrong..... 
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2011 at 12:01pm by Junaid K »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login or Register Register
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 11:27am

Scythe   Offline
ACSA Committee Member
I love the smell of Vorsprung
in the morning...
Cape Town, South Africa

Quote:

Nope.

VW uses the “TSI” brand for all its direct-injection turbocharged or twincharged petrol engines Turbo Stratified Injection. Comes in the 1.4 with single turbo as well, or the twin charged 1.4, and single turbo in 2.0.

Awesome engine in the 2.0 TSI, the gains are phenomenal, and no cam follower issue, and has timing chain instead of belt amongst other upgrades.

Overseas you 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0, but I've only ever seen the 1.4 and 2.0 here, so not sure how many variants we get...
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2011 at 11:32am by Scythe »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login Login or Register Register
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 11:54am

Junaid K   Offline
Moderate Forum User
Boost Fan
Durban

Scythe wrote on Dec 21st, 2011 at 11:27am:
Quote:

Nope.

VW uses the “TSI” brand for all its direct-injection turbocharged or twincharged petrol engines Turbo Stratified Injection. Comes in the 1.4 with single turbo as well, or the twin charged 1.4, and single turbo in 2.0.

Awesome engine in the 2.0 TSI, the gains are phenomenal, and no cam follower issue, and has timing chain instead of belt amongst other upgrades.

Overseas you 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0, but I've only ever seen the 1.4 and 2.0 here, so not sure how many variants we get...

I know that they come in different capacities, but was not sure if we received anything other than the 1.4 twincharged motor locally.

Thats sort of what I'm saying though. The TSI badge is now used for both the twincharged motor & the 'revised' FSi motor that is in the current G6 GTI.

Bottom line, the reason I ask is because I am being told by a RunX driver that from 2009 onward the G5 GTI had a different, i.e. TSI motor.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 12:58pm

Scythe   Offline
ACSA Committee Member
I love the smell of Vorsprung
in the morning...
Cape Town, South Africa

Seems he is correct yes, in mid to end 2008 the overseas Mk5's started coming with the TSI engine. Not sure how many SA got, if any...

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2011 at 1:33pm

Niwou   Offline
Moderate Forum User
Four rings FTW!
Audi Cente Hatfield

I'm not aware of any of the Golf 5 Gti's having the newer TSI engines.
Used to have one of the very last G5 Gti's and that had the TFSI 'BWA' spec engine.
Some of the last Jetta 5's had the TSI engine tough VW claimed it was the 147kw (TFSI) engine. (I might be wrong on this).
The early 2.0TSI's engine no's were CAW, later ones are CCZ.

Interesting the Facelift A3 2.0T's mostly also have the TSI (CCZ 155kw G6) motor, but Audi says its still the 147kw.

Intakes on the TSI is also a big improvement on the older TFSI versions.
Fuel pressure also went up from like 110bar to around 150.

Vorsprung durch Technik Hatfield

2006 A4 DTM. Sprint Blue
IP Logged